This regulation and associated permit applies to all manufacturers. If any of your production occurs outside of a building, where there could be any potential leakage/discharge of product or biproduct into groundwater, streams, etc., then a permit will be required. Otherwise, you may qualify for an exemption from the permit.
It is our understanding that all distilleries, breweries and wineries qualify for regulation under the statute, and we encourage you to be in touch with Jennifer Nitsch of MDE (410-537-4469 / email@example.com) to discuss the process for your compliance and application for the permit, or application for an exemption from the permit.
Guidance Documentation from MDE
MDE is providing some resources to help with the application process:
- Maryland Winery, Brewery, and Distillery Discharge Permit Guidance [PDF]
- 12-SW NOI (Notice of Intent): Completed NOI should be submitted by mail with the appropriate fee to: MDE, PO BOX 2057, Baltimore, MD 21203-2057 [PDF]
- SWPPP Template (Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan): A complete electronic copy of the SWPPP must be submitted to the Department for permit registration issuance. [Word .Doc] Please submit a copy of your SWPPP electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of your business in the “subject”. EPA Guidance for Developing Your Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan can be found here.
- No Exposure Certification Form (Application for General Permit No Exposure Exemption) [PDF]
- FULL EXAMPLE APPLICATIONS: Complete 12-SW Industrial Discharge Permit Application; and Complete No-Exposure Certificate (NEC) Application.
Guidance Documents and resources for obtaining your Third Party Certification Letter can be found on MDE’s General Discharge Permit for Stormwater webpage: http://9nl.at/MD-SWGP.
A list of Registered Landscape Architects can be found here: https://www.asla.org/ISGWeb.aspxloadURL=firfin using the American Society for Landscape Architects “Firm Finder” Search Tool on their website.
A copy of the 12-SW General Discharge Permit is available here and on the MDE’s General Discharge Permit for Stormwater webpage: http://9nl.at/MD-SWGP